Since our inception in January of 2017, CAST has organized, promoted, attended, co-sponsored, and assisted with logistics for various actions, rallies, and vigils – some CAST-led, and others initiated by a wide range of progressive groups and coalitions in Greater Boston. Our accomplishments include:
- In the Fall of 2019, CAST joined coalitions of other social justice groups to: promote the Global Climate Strike, help asylum seekers and refugees passing through Boston, support immigrants held locally in ICE detention, and work on a signature campaign for a 2022 MA ballot question to return voting rights to people incarcerated for felony convictions.
- To build community and engage people in participating in the 2020 elections, CAST has organized Debate Watch Parties for each of the Democratic Presidential Primary Debates.
- In the Spring of 2019, CAST developed and distributed an abbreviated version of the Mueller Report that includes all the key sections (available for download from this website), and organized a public reading of those sections in June 2019 that included both local activists and elected officials.
- For the 2018 Midterm Elections, CAST volunteers made calls, wrote postcards, texted, and canvassed for Democrats in New Hampshire, Nevada, Georgia, North Dakota, and Texas:
- 5,000 calls made by 75 callers,
- 1,200 postcards composed and mailed by 35 writers; and,
- 3,500 doors knocked by 130 canvassers.
- CAST received the Rossi Award for Creative and Responsive Leadership from Cambridge CCTV in 2017.
- As the result of CAST’s initiative, Cambridge became the first city on the East Coast to call for Trump’s impeachment, with the Cambridge City Council passing an Impeachment Resolution in April 2017. We have also supported other municipalities locally and nationally to take similar action.
- CAST led A Standing O.V.A.T.I.O.N. (Our Votes Are The Inspiration for Our Nation), a gathering to thank President Obama in person, and launch a voter registration drive in his honor in May 2017 in Boston.
- CAST hosted a poetry read-in in May 2017, We Contain Multitudes, celebrating our diversity and commonality.
- CAST organized the Medicare for All! Healthcare forum (film, panel discussion with renowned experts, and action planning) in October 2017.
- CAST was one of the lead organizers for large regional rallies, including the Cambridge/Boston Women’s March in January 2018 and the Emergency Health Care Rally in July 2017.
- CAST organized the Peacekeeper Trainings and co-led the 2018 peacekeeping efforts for the Cambridge/Boston Women’s March, the March for Our Lives, and the Tax Day Rally.
- CAST hosted phone banks for the 2017 Jon Ossoff campaign for the 6th congressional district seat in GA, where Ossoff’s Republican opponent narrowly won in a race that everyone predicted would not be close. We also hosted phone banks for the Doug Jones Senate race in Alabama, which Jones won in the race against Roy Moore; and CAST volunteers made calls to help Conor Lamb narrowly win a House special election in a Pennsylvania district that President Trump won by 20 percentage points in 2016.
- CAST assisted with the Automatic Voter Registration (AVR) campaign in Massachusetts, helped get the AVR bill passed, and is now helping to ensure that the Secretary of State’s office implement a system that aligns with the legislation that was signed into law.
- CAST participates in weekly Activist Afternoons where our volunteers make a difference by filling out postcards to voters and elected representatives on issues such as Automatic Voter Registration and immigration, and by calling other states to help elect progressive candidates, and work on other important issues, like increasing the minimum wage to $15.
- CAST has handed out thousands of flyers at weekly Callouts, small demonstrations that educate people about civic issues and related options for action. When weather prevents live callouts, members have been notified about timely actions they can take through Virtual Callouts posted in CAST’s Weekly email newsletter and on our Facebook events page.
CAST organized 3 annual Presidents’ Day Callouts in Harvard Square, in February 2017, 2018, and 2019, where members were joined by passersby and elected representatives to speak out and commit to another year of persistent resistance to the Trump/GOP agenda.